Dura Magnetics has complete in-house capabilities to manufacture custom, engineered to order Alnico magnets from your prints and specifications. Whether your custom application requires quick turn prototypes or a large volume production run, we have the equipment, technical expertise, and trained personnel to manufacture custom Alnico magnets and alnico magnetic assemblies to your drawings.
Although some magnet companies have eliminated their manufacturing capability and rely on distribution type sales to reduce overhead, we understand the customer’s need to present a finished print and specification to a vendor with a capacity to deliver highly engineered Alnico magnets and Alnico magnet assemblies.
When researching new potential vendors to manufacture your custom Alnico magnet or magnetic assembly, keep in mind that typical details found in common commercially machined or formed materials such as aluminum, steel alloy, brass, etc., are usually challenging to replicate in Alnico magnets. Critical specifications indicated on your drawing are often ignored by most magnet distributors.
Click here to see a list of common, mistakenly applied, drawing attributes.
The operational performance of a magnet material can be very challenging to predict. As a result, the Alnico used for your custom application may experience one or more of the following challenges:
- Environmentally unstable (Highly reactive and prone to oxidation)
- Gain or lose magnetic field relative to the operational temperature fluctuations
- Can experience irreparable harm at extreme temperature exposures
- Challenging to fabricate because conventional machine tools and machining methods are not feasible.
- Challenging to design because the magnetic field density and force are not linear relative to distance.
- Magnetic fields can create hazards for personal and some electronic equipment.
- Magnet alloy is difficult to machine, so common methods of retainment such as tapped holes, shoulders, through holes, and tapers are expensive to employ.
If your potential vendor does not discuss these common manufacturing challenges during quotation, you may be entering into a partnership with an order taker rather than finding a vendor capable of serving as your advocate, protecting your project from the common pitfalls associated with the manufacture of custom Alnico magnets. Dura Magnetics will provide a quote as per your drawing, observing the indicated details and specifications, and/or open a dialog, questioning the potential issues.
- DFAR (Specialty Metals Clause 252.225.7009)
- Export Controlled Items
- Conflict Minerals
- REACH – RoHS – RoHS 2
Quality Management System (QMS)
- AS9100D Certified
- ISO 9001:2015 Production Manufacturing Facilities
- Mil-Spec 45208A
- Coordinate Measurement Machines and Video Inspection System
- Magnetic testing equipment for measurements of Field Density and Field Strength
- Hysteresisgraph for magnetic characteristic measurement
Equipment and Services
- CNC Turning and Milling Machines
- Sinker and Wire EDM
- High Energy Magnetizers
- Blanchard and Surface Grinding
- ID and OD, and Centerless Grinding
- Production and Precision Cut-Off Equipment
- Sheet Metal Fabrication and Metal Joining Equipment
- Coating and Plating
- Powder Coating
- Clean Assembly Area
Contact the Custom Alnico Magnet Manufacturing Specialists
Thanks to a vast knowledge base accumulated acquired over 50 years, Dura Magnetics is well suited to deliver a custom Alnico magnet manufactured to your prints and specifications. When stock, off-the-shelf simply won’t do, you need a team of engineering oriented magnetic specialists to meet the various challenges associated with the procurement of custom Alnico magnets and magnetic assemblies. To get started, send us your drawing, or call Dura Magnetics at 1-800-492-7939 to discuss our in-house manufacturing capabilities today!